Friday, March 7, 2008


I am getting ready to head out the the Children's home and farm for the first time today so I won't have access to Internet for several days. So I thought I would give an update of what has been happening so far.

On Thursday I went to visit the slum and leper colony with the other girls that are volunteering. The children were amazing and loved having their pictures taken. I finally got a little bit of footage on my video camera, which hopefully I can incorporate into the video I making for the children's home. We played with the kids in a very small room, which has been converted into a classroom, where this fabulous woman has been teaching in the slum. Everyone lined up in the street and waved goodbye to us as we were driving away.

We also went to the leper colony, which is an amazing place. It was closed due to a Hindu holiday, but we wandered around anyway. The lepers spin yarn and create other textiles, which they sell to make money. I plan on going back on another day when it is up and running at full speed.

Yesterday, I went on a field trip with the children from the school. We went to a Tibetan Buddhist temple. Two small school buses jam packed with 120 children that don't speak my language all about 5 years old. I think there were about 10 adults total. At one point all of the adults were sitting on the bus eating Indian food with our fingers while the children ran wild on the field near the temple. Oh well. Things are different here. I am excited to get out to the school to meet the other children and play with the boys at the home.

2 comments:

ewesa said...

dude, that's exactly how jr. high works, except for instead of a field they run around a building and the administrators sit and eat in the lobby.
ok, maybe it isn't quite so unsupervised, but it feels like the same kind of chaos!
that bloody nose story broke my heart for you!

jrm said...

we want blood! we want blood! (in other words, go ahead and post your bloody pictures under the caption: warning! bloody nose pictures!).

and i am sure that india is ok with you bleeding all over her. now all you need is tears, you got blood and sweat covered.