Saturday, April 5, 2008

A return, sickness, and sewage.

We said our goodbyes to Liza, as her journey has just ended in India. Amanda and I took an overnight train back to Dehradun and the following night I got sick for the first time. I vomited several times in the night, my first stomach sickness in India. I guess it was too good to be true being here a month already and no problems. Fortunately, it only lasted one night and now I am back to good health. It just meant I had to delay my return to the boys at Selaqui so I won’t be able to see them until Monday when I can catch a ride out to the village. My time is nearly up with them.We have had tons of rain, which has given me a glimpse of what this place might look like in monsoon. The open sewers that run alongside the road overflow into the streets mixing with rain and garbage that people litter out their windows. I had to wade through a bit of this the other day on my way to pick up some clothes from the tailor. I looked at the rushing fluid and thought, “Okay, I can handle this. It’s all part of the experience.” The best part is that the rain has settled the dust and pollution so we had a really nice view of the foothills of the Himalayas last night from Frieda’s roof. Nibha and I sat on the roof for a while watching the traffic of bugs that had emerged from the rain and watching the light pop the colors on all of the neighborhood houses.

2 comments:

ken said...

Sounds absolutely sublime.


Himalayas!!!

ewesa said...

I completely agree.