Thursday, April 24, 2008

Flattering or not?


During my travels in India, on about a daily basis I am asked to be in a photograph, which I don't complain about because I am constantly taking photos of other people. I just figure it makes everything equal--mutual curiosity. However, I think sometimes situations become a bit extreme. For example, I was visiting a Jain temple in Ajmer last week and one photograph turned into an entire fashion shoot. The family continued to increase. Suddenly there was another sister, a mother, a grandmother, more sisters, brothers, uncles. The next thing I knew there was a baby in my arms. Then I was being somewhat undressed and a fancy scarf was being wrapped around my head. My earrings were taken off and replaced by the ones the daughter was wearing. Then some blinged out necklace was placed on my neck. This entire photo shoot seemed to last forever. The funny thing is this was all done on my camera because they didn't have a camera. The family didn't speak any English, but from our sign language I think I am supposed to mail them all of these photos when I get home. I have an address written in Hindi, which I need to have translated at some point. So there I will be in all of my white glory in ALL of their family photos.

1 comment:

ken said...

Flattering. Totally. You look awesome.

I keep hearing "The Infanta" (by the Decemberists) in my head when I look at this picture. Sweet.