Friday, May 2, 2008

Budget travel.

I thought I would say a few words about budget travel. Relative to prices in America, it is pretty inexpensive to travel in India. But then again you get used to paying certain prices for things and when you get ripped off, it can sting for a bit. But it is interesting how prices don't seem to make sense.

For example, a prepaid taxi from the airport in Delhi to a hotel might cost between 200-250 rs, which is about $5.00. However, during this season, a decent hotel room for one night might cost about 200-300 rs. Some intense budget travellers stay in places for 70 rs a night. So a ride in an auto might cost more than your lodging.



So when I had to change rooms at the Shanti Guest House in order to have A/C, I was a bit annoyed with the price. Relative to everything, 500 rs is a lot to pay for a room, so I was expecting a bit better quality with my upgrade. It was only after I moved into the room that I found out that the shower didn't work. I only have water for part of the day. The sink leaks all of its contents out onto the bathroom floor, so when I brush me teeth I spit it in the toilet rather than in the sink because I don't want it to land all over my feet. The A/C that I am paying for actually only works during the evening and morning, which is the coolest time of day. During the hottest time of the day there is no electricity due to power outages all over the city. I also asked for a new sheet to put on my bed and the one I was handed had giant holes in it. Thankfully, I have my trusty sleep sack.



So, this is not to complain about my hotel because it has actually been quite nice. But relative to other hotels, I have paid a lot less and had nicer rooms. But when it is 41 degrees celcius by 11:00am, there is really no point in trying to find a new hotel. It is too much work to lug a backpack around the city and I like the location of my hotel, right next to the burning ghat. But I guess that is why the hotel offers a few bonuses, such a free pick-up from the train station and free boat rides every morning and evening. Don't mind the boy on the boat who will offer you a candle and flowers to float in the water an then ask for 20 rs. This service is optional, but he might make it seem like it is a necessity.

2 comments:

jrm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jrm said...

ahhh! what luxury! a hotel right next to a burning ghat! you should write their adverstisement brochures.