Friday, May 2, 2008

Varanasi silk.

What is with Varanasi and Goldie Hawn? As soon as I respond to someone that I am from America they say, 'Ah, you know Goldie Hawn? You come to my shop, I met her.' I think maybe she met some guru here and now all of the shop owners think they can lure you in by mentioning Goldie Hawn. But she's not really my type.

However...
Varanasi is known for several things, which I have become well acquainted with all of them. The burning ghats, which I already mentioned. It is also known for its maze of winding narrow streets, and for silk. I have never seen so much silk and about every minute I am asked if I would like a boat ride or if I would like to buy some silk. Well, now I have done both.



It was hot and I had nothing to do so I took a walk to a bakery and I was going to scout prices at a fixed price shop first before checking the bazaar for silk items but it was closed. I think I must have been profiled because some young guy asked me to tour the silk workshops where they have plenty of people working the hand looms. It was an interesting way to spend part of my afternoon. Then he lead me to his father's silk shop in their home where they started pulling out hundreds of beautiful pieces of fabric. Their favorite line is 'looking is free.' This is what I was afraid of and I think all of the salesmen in Varanasi know that once you look, you have to buy.



I knew that everything was a little too easy at this point so something was bound to happen. In the evening when I returned for my top, it didn't fit, so we had to wait a long time and try and re-try the top taking it to the tailor. I think they were getting annoyed with me because I wasn't willing to walk away with something that didn't fit. While waiting, they pulled out hundreds of scarves for us to look at in the most amazing colors. My friend Caroline who accompanied me ended up buying a couple of scarves. It was only after we left the shop and saw the same ones in the market for half the price.

No comments: