Friday, March 14, 2008

Mussoorie.

We drove up to Mussoorie on Thursday to run some errands and I had a closer glimpse of the Himalayas. I can see the foothills from the farm, but Mussoorie was a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it was an overcast day so I only saw the first couple of layers of mountains in the horizon; the white caps were hidden. It was still worth it though.

We had a fabulous lunch in town, one of the first times I have eaten out since arriving here. I took advantage of it and ordered a banana lassi. 120 rupees covered the cost of lunch for three people. I would guess that is around $3.00.

Part way down the mountain, the clutch gave out on our jeep. No more clutch, no shifting, no gears. We had to put the vehicle in neutral and justed coasted about 12 - 15 miles into Dehradun. Three times we had to grind the gears in order to get into first gear so we wouldn't stall the car, but it was amazing that we made it all the way without stopping. It is quite a climb to Mussoorie and definitely a blessing that it happened on the way down instead of on the way up that narrow winding road.

6 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm LOVING your blog!! I've never wanted to travel to India before, but now I do. Well I'd want to go with you so that you could take my picture ;)
Keep posting, you're becoming part of my morning routine - and I wanna know what the newspaper article was about! What injustice? Were you photoshopped?

skim said...

hi Jenni,
Tom sent me the link to your blog - apart from the amazing nosebleed it looks and sounds great! While you're teaching and becoming a future oscar-winning documentarian, I am spending the same time conquering guitar hero III.

You tell me - who's more awesome
holla

From Mysore, I got as far north as Delhi, and wanted to see Kashmir (because of the zeppelin song, i think), but was warned against it.

peace/namaste from MIT
simon

H C M said...

Great posts, wonderful photos, what an adventure. I will follow along with this blog.

sreeve said...

I love the blog! I've totally been lurking and reading all your adventures. Such cute boys you work with...I'm still amazed and jealous of your packing prowess. :-)

Collin said...

You know what this blog and my shirt have in common? They were both made in India with exquisite craftsmanship.

ewesa said...

woohoo india!